Dustin Mauck focuses his practice on intellectual property, technology, cybersecurity, and data privacy matters.
Dustin has experience in enforcing and obtaining patents and has represented clients in trademark, trade secret, copyright, and domain name disputes. As a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US), Dustin also assists his clients with cybersecurity and data privacy issues, including assessing and responding to data breaches, preparing incident response plans, and evaluating cybersecurity and data privacy risks and policies.
His patent and trademark prosecution experience includes preparing applications, responding to office actions, drafting appeal briefs, and handling cancellation and opposition matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.Representative Litigation Experience
- Point-of-Sale Software Provider and one of its dealers as defendants in a patent infringement action where after a trial on the merits, the jury found that the asserted claims were not infringed and invalid
- Product Manufacturer as defendant in a patent infringement action covering fluid technology where the case settled during trial
- E-commerce firm as a defendant in a patent infringement trial covering the hosting of third-party commerce websites
- Trial co-counsel in breach of contract action
- Inventor with a patent portfolio as a plaintiff in patent infringement actions involving switch and router technology
- Energy-related technology company in patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation actions involving fuel loyalty technology and programs
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law - J.D., cum laude
- Southern Methodist University - B.S., Electrical Engineering - Biomedical Specialization
While in law school, Dustin was a member of the Computer Law Review and Technology Journal. He is admitted to practice law in Texas and to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Northern Districts of Texas. He is also registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US).Civic Involvement
- SMU Mustang Club
- SMU Lettermen's Association Board Member
- Former Co-Chair of Veterans Outreach Subcommittee of the Dallas Bar Association
- Pro Bono Matters for Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program (DVAP) and Veterans Assistance Program
- "Best Lawyers in Dallas" List for Intellectual Property, D Magazine (2018, 2019)
- “Texas Super Lawyer” in Intellectual Property, Thomson Reuters (2019)
- "Texas Rising Star" in Intellectual Property, Thomson Reuters (2015-17)
- “Outstanding Clinic Attorney Volunteer” for the Veterans Clinic, Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program (2017)
- "DVAP's Finest" - Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program (2016)
Dustin enjoys playing tennis, keeping up with his children’s activities, and supporting SMU sports. Dustin earned All-American honors as a member of the SMU tennis team and twice earned “Player of the Year” honors as a Florida high school tennis player. Dustin married his wife, Katherine Killingsworth, in 2008, and has three sons named Tucker, Sawyer, and Tanner.